brs: About Us

About Us

The Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS) administers the Title I Vocational Rehabilitation and Title VI Supported Employment (SE) programs of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.


BRS receives federal funding from the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA), Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSER) at the US Department of Education.  The obligations for the use of this federal funding are defined in the BRS State Plan.


The Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS) is the designated state unit that oversees BRS and the vocational rehabilitation and supported employment programs in Connecticut.



How to Become a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor at BRS
BRS generally hires candidates with a Rehabilitation Counseling major or related Masterís degree. We also hire Masterís level counselors who are proficient with Spanish and American Sign Language.


The bureau will only hire counselors at the Bachelorís level when we are unable to find acceptable candidates at the Masterís level.  We will require that the Bachelorís Degree be in a related field that includes:

                        Social Work 
                        Social Science or
                        A degree deemed acceptable by the bureau.
For the instances when the bureau must hire a counselor with a related Bachelorís degree as previously defined, the counselor must attain a 48-credit Masterís degree in rehabilitation counseling within four years of the date of hire.  The degree must be conferred from a college or University that is Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) accredited or be in the process of receiving full CORE-accreditation.

The bureau embraces the Comprehensive System of Staff Development (CSPD) process to ensure continuous organizational development, continuous improvement of the competencies of all staff, especially vocational rehabilitation (VR) counselors and supervisors.
The current requirements for CSPD are based closely on the standards for Certified Rehabilitation Counselors:
1   Masterís in Rehabilitation Counseling from a Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) accredited institution; or
2   Masterís and current Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) certification; or
3   Masterís in a related field which had a Theories and Techniques of Counseling Course as part of the required curriculum.  



Content Last Modified on 6/21/2018 1:09:32 PM