DMV Easy Answers
for Renewing a Driver's License
***Holiday Closing***: On Friday, December 22, DMV offices will close at 12:30 p.m. to observe the Christmas Day holiday, and remain closed on Saturday, December 23. Offices will reopen on Tuesday, December 26 at 7:45 a.m.
Renew a week or more before your birthday. You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV or AAA office. It will arrive through the mail. You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card. For more on this, please see Central Issuance
. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card
You may renew your license on or as early as six months prior to your license expiration date. AAA offices do not process CDLs or public passenger endorsements.
What to do:
What to bring:
- Your current license.
- Your renewal application form that you received in the mail.
- For customers choosing a "verified" renewal: Your required documents for a "verified" license through Real ID Program.
- If you already have a gold star "verified" license no need to bring additional proof of identity to DMV or AAA.
What it will cost:
- $72 renewal fee.
- See acceptable forms of payment.
- AAA offices have the authority to charge a convenience fee for DMV transactions. Effective September 1, 2016, a convenience fee that must be paid separately to AAA will increase from $3 to $5. The fee is payable to AAA.
- NOTE: Late fee of $25 will be charged for the renewal of an expired driver's license.
- Military Personnel - see information regarding fee waiver.
For more information, please see detailed information on renewing a driver's license.
Content Last Modified on 8/25/2017 10:09:42 AM