Obtaining a Motorcycle Learner's Permit
Holiday Schedule: DMV customer service centers will close for the Memorial Day holiday on Friday, May 27 at 12:30 p.m. and reopen Tuesday, May 31 at 7:45 a.m.
All AAA offices will be open to process renewals for driver licenses and non-driver ID cards during their normal business hours on Friday, May 27 and Saturday, May 28. AAA offices will be closed on Monday, May 30.
NOTE: Knowledge testing for a motorcycle learner's permit is only provided on a walk-in basis at DMV Hub Offices.
The learner's permit allows you to drive a motorcycle with restrictions
to help you gain experience on the road and allows you to drive the motorcycle without a motorcycle endorsement for 60 days. A permit can be renewed
once during the same calendar year.
What to do:
- Begin the process to get a motorcycle endorsement. (The motorcycle novice safety course is not required to obtain a learner's permit.)
- Pass the vision and motorcycle knowledge tests. Once you pass both tests, you qualify for a motorcycle learner's permit.
What it will cost:
You are subject to following restrictions while operating a with a motorcycle learner's permit:
- Valid in Connecticut only.
- Valid during daylight use only.
- Not valid for carrying passengers.
- Not valid on a limited access highways.
- Vision protecting devise must be used, including but not limited to goggles, glasses, face shields, windshields and wind screens.
- Protective headgear of a type which conforms to the minimum specifications established by Section 14-289g of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies must be worn.
Content Last Modified on 8/11/2015 3:22:24 PM