DMV: Returning Connecticut License Plates and Cancelling a Registration

Returning Connecticut License Plates
and Canceling a Registration

You must cancel your registration if you no longer have the vehicle or if you have moved out of state. To cancel a registration:

  1. Return your registration marker plate(s) to any DMV HUB or limited service office.  If the plate(s) have been lost or stolen, you may submit the Marker Plate Notice form electronically or download the E-159 form to be completed.  
  2. Request a cancellation of the plates(s).
  3. Request a receipt and keep for your records.  You may need the receipt to request a proration of your municipal property tax bill.  There will be a $20 fee if you lose the receipt and need a replacement.
  4. Your vehicle will be subject to property tax assessment in the town of record until the plates are returned and cancelled.  Once the registration has been cancelled, the vehicle will be removed from the next Grand List that is provided to the municipalities on October 1st each year.  It is also recommended that you retain a copy of the bill of sale if you are selling the vehicle.  You may contact your local tax assessors office for information on removing the vehicle from the property tax list.

If you cannot visit a DMV office you may send the plate(s) to:

60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Attn: Plate Return

Please enclose a written request to cancel the registration and indicate whether you would like a receipt. A receipt will be mailed to the address that is on file with DMV. If you have moved out of state you must enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for the receipt to be mailed to you.

Note:  If you received a property tax bill on a vehicle that you sold and need proof of sale, you will need to fill out a Copy Records Request (form J-23T). On the form, please request the "bill of sale" and follow instructions on how to order.

Content Last Modified on 7/30/2015 10:53:44 AM