Ignition Interlock Device Program
The Ignition Interlock Device Program provides any operator, who has been convicted under Connecticut General Statutes (C.G.S) §14-227a, §14-227g or §14-111n, Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs (OUI), §53a-56b, Vehicular Manslaughter or §53a-60b, Vehicular Assault, the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
As a condition of reinstatement of your operating privilege, you are required to participate in the Ignition Interlock Device (IID) program.
See more information on the IID Program:
Requirements to Participate in the Program
- Submit a check or money order in the amount of $175.00, payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), for the statutory required restoration fee.
- Have a valid registration.
- Have had your license suspended for a conviction of a OUI, Vehicular Manslaughter or Vehicular Assault and have served the required license suspension period.
- Resolve any other outstanding matters concerning your operator's license suspension.
- Complete the part one (1) of Ignition Interlock Device Installation Application (P-246) form and submit a check or money order in the amount of $100.00, payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), for the administration fee. Please see address below.
- Have the IID installed in each vehicle(s) owned or operated by you. If you are installing an IID in vehicles(s) you do not own, the registered owner must complete an Installation Authorization (P-248) form, and return with the P-246 form.
- To determine the length of time the IID will be required, or the duration of suspension time required, see Penalties for Criminal Convictions. The time required for the IID starts from the date of restoration of your driver's license.
An out of state driver with an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) restriction who wishes to surrender an operator’s license issued by another jurisdiction must:
- Have a comparable conviction under the provisions of Connecticut General Statute §14-227a, §53a-56b or §53a-60d.
- Submit proof from the jurisdiction that required the IID restriction.
- Submit a recent certified copy of your driving history (dated within 60 days of issuance) and vehicle registration records from the State of Record for review.
- Complete part one (1) of the Ignition Interlock Device Installation Application (P-246) form and submit a check or money order in the amount of $100.00, payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles, for the IID administration fee. Please see address below.
Once the information has been approved, you must:
- Obtain a Connecticut operator's license and Connecticut vehicle registration within 30 days of issuance of the approval.
- Have the IID installed in each vehicle(s) owned or operated by you.
Participants must pay all costs involved with the installation and maintenance of the IID directly to the vendor. Costs are determined by each individual vendor.
Overview of IID Program
Participants must fill out an Ignition Interlock Device Installation Application (P-246) form for the program and mail it to the address below with the required $100.00 administration fee.
Once an application is approved, the P-246 form and the form authorizing installation will be mailed. The P-246 form and the vehicle(s) must be brought to an approved IID vendor for installation.
Once the device is installed in the vehicle(s), the P-246 form confirming the installation(s) must be returned to the address noted below for verification by the DMV.
After the program participant's operator’s license is restored, a final approval letter and restoration notice will be mailed.
DMV records will indicate that an IID must be installed in each vehicle(s) owned or operated by you; law enforcement officials will have access to this information when checking a driver's status.
Participants must bring each vehicle(s) to the installer every 30 days for calibration. Failure to do so will result in the suspension of the driver’s license for failure to comply with the terms of the IID program.
Anyone convicted of tampering, removing, allowing someone else to blow into the device or driving a vehicle without an approved IID, will have their operator's license suspended.
If you have a change in personal information, vehicle information or interlock device information you must complete the Ignition Interlock Device Change of Application Record (P-247) form and mail it to the DMV within 48 hours of the change.
For further information concerning this program you may:
Call: 1-860-263-5720, or write to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, Connecticut 06161-2525
Ignition Interlock Device Program Vendor List
You may call the toll free number(s) below for cost, installation, or appointment information.
|Sensolock of America
|Draeger Safety Diagnostics
|Alcohol Detection Systems
Costs are determined by the independent vendors and not the DMV.
Content Last Modified on 6/4/2013 8:53:06 AM