DMV: Requesting a Replacement Title

Requesting a Replacement Title


The owner, legal representative (ie: power of attorney, probate) or lienholder of the record must complete the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B). This application must be signed. The cost to obtain a replacement title is $25.

If a lien (bank, credit union, etc.) was listed on the original title, a lien release must accompany the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B).  The lien release must be on letterhead paper from the lienholder.  The application will be returned if the lien release is not submitted. If the date of the lien is more than ten years and you are having difficulty obtaining a lien release from lender (out of business, changed name, etc.) you must provide a completed Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit (form H-115) in lieu of the lien release. 

If the vehicle's model year is 20 years old or newer, the duplicate title can be issued at any DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office (NOTE: Putnam Office does not process replacement titles).  

The title will only be given to the owner, legal representative (ie: power of attorney, probate) or lien holder of the record.  Acceptable identification will be required.

You can also mail the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (form H-6B) to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Title Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06161

Be sure that the form is fully completed and signed.  Include a $25 check or money order (made payable to DMV), and a lien release (if applicable).   

Requests through the mail take about 90 days.  Once the duplicate title is produced it will be mailed to the current titled owner or lien holder on record.

Please note: Connecticut does not participate in any electronic title or electronic lien holder program and at this time is not able to receive an electronic title or lien holder record.

Content Last Modified on 10/29/2015 1:06:23 PM