DSS: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Overview, Application Information & Resources


SNAP recipients in Connecticut must report when their household’s total monthly gross income goes above 130% of the federal poverty level (FPL).  Please follow this link to learn more about income reporting requirements.


{snap logo}
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps, helps eligible individuals and families afford the cost of food at supermarkets, grocery stores and farmers’ markets. You can apply for these benefits by completing a state application form. This form can be done online, or mailed, faxed, or dropped off at a local DSS Regional Office. Once the form is complete, you will be assigned an eligibility worker who will interview you to complete the application process.


If you prefer, you can fill out the application for SNAP benefits at your local Department of Social Services office. You can also authorize someone else to do the application paperwork for you. If you are unable to get to a DSS office and if there is no one who can go for you, ask DSS to do your application interview by mail and phone – or you can apply online.


For application information, please visit www.ct.gov/dss/apply, or see information below:


·         Households and individuals who wish to apply for SNAP (food stamps), Medicaid for the Aged/Blind/Disabled (HUSKY C), Medicaid for Employees with Disabilities (MED-Connect), and/or cash assistance can download this application: Eligibility Determination Document (W-1E) with Instructions (6,258KB)  Versión en Español  


·         To apply online, please visit www.connect.ct.gov, under ‘Apply for Benefits.’


·         You may also use the DSS ConneCT pre-screening tool found on our home page at www.ct.gov/dss (click on ConneCT icon) or at www.connect.ct.gov called “Am I Eligible,” which also pre-screens for cash and medical benefits.


The rules for getting SNAP benefits in Connecticut require that a person must be a resident of Connecticut whose income and, in some cases, assets are within set limits.  Income Limits

Benefits are provided by Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card—a plastic swipe card that looks and is is used like a credit or debit card, and accepted at most grocery stores.  If you qualify for SNAP, you can designate another person to do food shopping for you.  We call that person your authorized representative, and issue a separate EBT card to that person.


Please note: to make sure you get the correct SNAP benefit, please be sure to give us all the information about your household's income, resources and household costs. Some household costs are called "deductions." Please follow this link for information on SNAP deductions. (Versión en Español)


Beneficiaries who would like more information may call 2-1-1 (toll-free).




Please follow this link for a beneficiary question and answer sheet.


How to Access SNAP Benefits Using Your EBT Card


What you can and cannot buy using your SNAP benefits  Versión en Español



More on SNAP and Similar Programs:


How to Access SNAP Benefits Using Your EBT Card


Income Limits


Want to Shop at Farmers' Markets and Farm Stands?


Nutritional Assistance Programs


About the Electronic Benefits Transfer Project


The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children


Employment & Training - Your Path to Employment


Recipes, Nutrition, Health, & FNS SNAP pre-screening tool.


More information can also be found on the USDA Food and Nutrition Service website.



SNAP Publications



EBT Handbook - How to Get Your SNAP and/or Cash Benefits

EBT - Como Usar Su Tarjeta de EBT

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - An Issue Brief

A Guide to SNAP

Guia para el Programa De Asistencia Suplementaria Para Nutrition

Using Your SNAP benefits

Usandos sus Cupones para Alimentos


Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.


To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.


 FNS Instruction (333KB)


Are you a retailer who would like to accept SNAP benefits?

You can now apply online; it's fast, secure, easy to use,
and best of all, it's available when you are, 24/7.  By applying online, you can also check the
real-time status of your application online using your USDA account.


Applying to accept SNAP benefits at your store is a simple three step processget a USDA
account, fill out an application online, and mail your supporting documentation to complete
your file.


Please follow this link to learn more about applying to become an FNS authorized retailer.

Content Last Modified on 1/5/2015 9:03:10 AM