Connecticut’s STEP '16-17 Grant Program
The State Trade and Expansion Program (STEP) grant initiative, launched under the Small Business Jobs Act of 2010, is a pilot grant program authorizing up to $90 million in grants to the states and U.S. territories over three years to help increase the number of small businesses that export, and increase the value of exports for small businesses that are currently exporting.
The Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) will use STEP grant funding to assist eligible small businesses with participation in regional and industry focused export opportunities and international business development opportunities. DECD works with federal and in-state partner organizations to identify and coordinate CT STEP-approved events with the goal of showcasing the strengths of key Connecticut markets, and expanding the global footprint of the state and its participating companies.
STEP Grant Contact Information:
Department of Economic and Community Development
505 Hudson Street
Hartford, Connecticut, 06106
STEP Project DirectorLaura.Jaworski@ct.gov
For all inquiries contact:Aaron Knight
Connecticut has been awarded State Trade and
Expansion Program (STEP) '16-17 grant
STEP '16-17 General Assistance Fund:
- Hannover Messe 2017, Hannover, Germany, April 24-28, (closed)
- Paris International Airshow 2017, Paris, France, June 19-24, (closed)
- Medica 2017, Dusseldorf, Germany, November 13-16, (closed)
- US DOC Export Assistance Center Trade Events and Services, Middletown, CT
Funded in part through a
Cooperative Agreement with
the U.S. Small Business
Is My Company an ‘Eligible Small Business Concern’?
- Please review the program guidelines
How Do I Apply?
- Open application periods will be coordinated with our event partners. The actual application process may vary slightly with each STEP event but the same eligibility documents noted above in the
program guidelines will be required. For further instructions on how to apply during an open application period click on the "(open)" link provided with each corresponding event.
How Does the STEP Program Work?
- CT STEP reimbursement grants are available to participating "eligible small business concerns" at eligible events. CT STEP reimbursements are used to offset registration/participation costs. Reimbursements are not available for travel or lodging during these events.
What is the STEP Export FY '16-17 General Assistance Fund (GAF)?
- The General Assistance Fund aims to provide STEP funding to eligible small businesses for participation in export opportunities. The program goal is to aid companies in expanding their export initiatives and to increase eligible Connecticut companies; export sales by spurring participation in these export opportunities. For more detail, please review the FY '16-17 program guidelines
How Do I Receive Future STEP Notifications?
- All program announcements including open application periods, new STEP events and other STEP funding opportunities will be published on this page. If you would like to have STEP notifications emailed to you directly please submit a request here